Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just noticeable difference

How big is big? How small is small? I know, I know, I am dwelling on size again. But give me credit. The last time I was this pre-occupied about size was when both Spew and I were fenagled into a very tight and degrading singlets. Did I mention tight?

Who remembers the fantastic scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where Willy Wonka had just gathered the winners of the golden tickets into his factory and was in a hallway with everyone trying to get to the main area of the factory and, as they walked further down the hall, he suddenly got bigger and bigger? But as the scene continues you realize it was actually just the hallway getting smaller.

My point? Sometimes to be bigger, people make everything else smaller. Sometimes to be stronger, people make everyone else weaker. Sometimes to be smarter, people make everyone else dumber.

It is all about perspective. Is a 7 foot man tall? Not if everyone else is 10 feet tall. If you have the ability to perceive reality with clarity you are going to understand the world. The problem is that people are trying to take away our ability to percieve these differences. How? By changing things just below your threshold of seeing a change. You change it slowly, slightly and without fanfare.

And that my friends is what is happening to my ice cream. AGAIN!!!!

Do you remember going to the store and picking up a half gallon of ice cream? I wonder how many of you noticed that many of the comanies have already changed it from a half gallon to 1.75 quarts? And do you think they changed the price? no. This is their tricly way of a price increase without and actual price increase. You are now paying more for less. Much like the strippers that Jason hired for his bachelor party. (Although any amount of $ for those two hoochies was too much)

But the real kicker is that it is happening again. Breyer Ice cream is now down to 1.5 quarts.


They are claiming an increase in costs of their cream. (Rob - Maybe Dirk could help with the cream issue?) Anyway, the point is that they are changing the size just a little so that you wont know. You see, its the same price it has always been and you assume everything is the same. But they are gouging you. How about they be honest about it? How about they just raise the prices? How about an announcment about the size change? Oh, thats right, its all about the Jeffersons!

7 comments:

Eric said...

Same thing happened with Cadbury Creme Eggs. Pretty soon we will be eating out of those Ben and Jerry's shrinky-dink cartons. It's time for the proletariat to take the power back from the bourgeoisie.

Idaho Rob said...

I have never been a purchaser of half gallons or smaller. I have always bought the 5 quart containers. Just a short time ago I walked the freezer aisle and noticed they looked shorter than usual and so I looked closer and guess what they are only one gallon now.
As for help I can't change the prices the real key is to get the government to stop subsidizing ethanol and also probably get your own cow and make your own icecream.

Larissa said...

I noticed things all over were getting smaller...I just thought they were shrinking. Have you seen the tiny little yogurt drinks I drink or the tiny water bottles? Everything is so mini! Except the price. Dang it, Derrek, now I have something else to be upset about! J/K

I also noticed missionaries and boys scouts are getting smaller too. Do you think they are or am I just getting older?

Larissa said...

Is the "moving on up" song playing in your head? It is mine and I can't get it out!

D-Rock said...

My own cow.........??

I like it. And I can guarantee that Papa Bill will go halfsies with me.

Why the hell didn't we think of this earlier?

I know what I am going to ask for christmas.

Eric said...

I saw the type of thing you did with the party sheep. I will not condone you getting a cow.

Nate said...

Don't blame the singlets, they weren't that tight.